Protect Your Child From Burnout
Now that Spring is in full gear, many team sports like Soccer, Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Tennis, Track and Cross Country start and many parents want their kids to participate in as many activities as possible. While wanting to your kids to be physically active, over training and burnout can be real issues for children engaged in too many activities, especially when adding homework and other social responsibilities on top of it.
Signs of Burnout
Your child may exhibit a variety of psychological, physical and hormonal changes include:
- Sleep pattern changes
- Eating less or experiencing weight loss
- Experiencing more injuries and illness
- Overall decrease performance in sports and/or school
Factors that tend to lead children to burnout:
- Competing on multiple teams during a season
- Overlapping seasons without intervals of rest
- Low self-esteem and high anxiety levels
- Too much parental and coaching pressure to train and compete at a higher level
- Having a Type A personality
Preventing and Treating Burnout:
Our martial arts program is focused on providing your family the best physical and mental gains, possible and we incorporate strategies to maximum your results.
- Don’t participate in sporting activities for 5 days a week, maximum. Therefore, we generally have students train 2-3 times a week.
- We use periodization in which we vary training, techniques, and physical drills not only a weekly basis but also within each class.
- The confidence and discipline that martial arts develop along with our teaching methods promote high self-esteem and stress reduction.
- We recognize and encourage all students to train and learn at their own pace.
- We strive to ensure proper technique is learned by requiring belt testing to move up in belt rank and learn more advanced techniques.
- We have a lot of fun in our classes and use age appropriate games and training.
Your martial arts training here at the school, will not only increase coordination and performance in other sports, but will help your child combat burnout and injuries as well.